[ubuntu-za] What TV capture card with Mythtv ?

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:24:56 BST 2010

> Do either of you have a working Mythtv installation and, if so, what tv
> card are you using?
>
> I have a Pinnacle PCTV Analogue Pro PCI card which gives a good picture,
> but I have not
> been able to get the sound working.
> The curious thing is that in the Sound Preferences GUI under input I can
> see that the sound
> is registering a good input level, and I can in fact record this sound
> using Audacity.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Hi Rob

Yes I have got mythtv working. I cant remember what card It was as I also
got it free with an old second hand pc I got a while ago, and its not in my
PC. Its just a basic analogue one though with no onboard encoder. It worked
out of the box in ubuntu though which was great. In terms of the sound I
remember reading a few mythtv howto's to get it right but I think it works
something like this:

The tv card has a sound cable/jumper which attaches to the CD aux input on
the motherboard. This allows it to transfer the audio it captures to the
motherboard / onboard sound card.
I think the trick was to set the CD aux as the default recording device in
ubuntu, and then mute the Playback from the cd aux. Then in mythtv the sound
is captured, processed and recorded from the CD aux input and then played
back from the default sound device.

Im sorry I cant be more specific but I dont have the setup on my pc and I
cant find any of the links to sites I used back when I did it. A bit of
google should help point you in the right direction though.

Cheers

Josh