[ubuntu-za] Offline wikipedia for Zimbabwe

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Thu Apr 22 09:49:42 BST 2010

(cross-posting between clug-chat and glug-chat, ubuntu-za)

  I have been working with schools in South Africa, mostly putting
  down a tailored installation of Edubuntu in a thin client environment,
  usually in tuXlabs that were originally sponsored by the
  Shuttleworth Foundation.

  One of the additions we put in was a local copy of wikipedia, up
  until now using the Wikipedia Selection for schools available at
  http://schools-wikipedia.org/

  I have been working with kiwix - http://www.kiwix.org/ - who have
  a product that is more up to date, is served from a single
  archive file, and uses a custom reader, and implements search.

  At my request, the reader will also serve the content up as http,
  allowing a single installation in a classroom to serve the whole class.

  See my blog entry about such an installation at

        http://blog.wizzy.com/post/Kiwix-install-at-Kwena-Malapo-school-Johannesberg

  I recently got the request below - and I am casting about for
  someone in Zimbabwe who can make use of this.

  A 4Gig USB key would hold the article archive (2.5Gig) the search index (700Meg)
  a Linux reader, a Windows reader, a few debs, and source code.

  A DVD would be cheaper, but less flexible.

Emmanuel imagines some different solutions:

>  * Send DVD/key per post
>  * Rent DVD/key
>  * Sell them for a really cheap price (a few dollars)
>This is really open... The only one rule: as many people as possible
>should get access to the content.

  An NGO has money for about 100 USB keys, if we give them away.
  Does anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers,  Andy!

Hi Andy,

I write you now for something else. I'm currently finishing a DVD in
Parsi and the NGO which support this project has money left to do
something else with Kiwix. But, they have constraints how they are
allowed to use this money, but a distribution project in Zimbabew would
be in the scope.

So, my question is: May you help us to organize a small project to help
spreading Wikipedia offline in Zimbabwe or maybe you know someone who
would be interested and may help us in such a project?

Emmanuel