[ubuntu-za] A Note on Netiquette

Adrianna Pinska adrianna.pinska at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:18:31 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Reenen Laurie <rlaurie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Weird how they use a serif font (Times?) for that.  Most web-layouts say
> that for reading a sans-serif (Arial and gang) font makes on-screen reading
> easier.

This has never been shown conclusively (and neither has the purported
superiority of serif over sans in print, although there is a
long-running debate).  I believe that this perception is mostly a
remnant of the era of pixelated, low-res screen text -- sans looks
much less crappy than serif under those conditions.  On a sufficiently
high-resolution monitor, with anti-aliasing, serif fonts look pretty
much as good as they do on paper.

http://www.alexpoole.info/academic/literaturereview.html

I don't know if there's any hard evidence to support the theory that
light text on a dark background is harder to read, but that's the
thing that I personally notice.  Thank goodness for zap bookmarklets.
;)

--
~ Registered Linux User #334504 ~
"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face."