[ubuntu-za] Is Ubuntu Appcentre end of the road for FOSS?

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed May 27 15:25:21 BST 2009

David Robert Lewis wrote:
> I don't want to sound alarmist, but Stefano's post/ is /all about the
> Appstore, and wouldn't it be great to unify all the separate installer
> elements into one application, which as it turns out, has been on the
> cards since 2005!

There is only one installer.  Apt.  Aptitude, Synaptic, and Add-Remove
Programs are all front ends for apt.  It looks like the app store will
also use apt.  That means anyone can make a repository.

> I stand by my posting on the subject. It's a problem for FOSS if
> Canonical is going down the Apple route.

They cant.  The underlying architecture is open, and there is no way to
close it.  They can layer some DRM in some applications on top of it,
but that is all.

			Lee