[ubuntu-za] Seagate support for Ubuntu

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Tue May 5 12:20:36 BST 2009

I purchased a Seagate Barracude 500GB SATA internal drive from Chaos
Computers last month and formatted it NTFS thinking this would be a safe
option. Needless to say, within weeks, my data was corrupted resulting
in the loss of valuable information. I managed to retrieve some of the
lost data using photorec, but am now stuck with the problem of not
trusting the drive or the combination of the drive and Ubuntu. There is
absolutely no support for Ubuntu from Seagate,

This is the support response;

Seagate Support wrote:
Hello David,

There is no Unbutu version of Seatools. You would have to test the
drives on a windows machine.

ref:00D0hhzl.50036GX0w:ref

How can I insure this doesn't happen again? Should I take the drive back
to the shop?

Please help,

DRL.