[ubuntu-za] Website for FOSS in Schools

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 13:35:18 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:53, Charl Wentzel
<charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
> Will there be a list of known installations at schools.  Many have been
> mentioned in these threads.  I sugges we make an effort to add it to
> especially the schoolforge site.
>
> Nothing "sells" better than working installations!  It's better to have
> proof that it works that trying to convince someone that it "could"
> work.

Good idea. It's something that has worked for OLPC - make it easy to
find out about existing deployments, and get people at those
deployments involved in helping with other deployments or learning
from them.

This could be motivated as part of the "cost" to the school of getting
help from ubuntu-za: provide some transparency into the deployment
itself by giving us information about size of deployment, contact
person, versions installed, etc.

Further from there, we could have a public issues tracker (like trac)
for schools receiving community support to use to log issues - and a
team within ubuntu-za to monitor that and provide hints/tips, or say
"this other school had the same problem, see how it was solved" or
escalate to paid support / launchpad / whatever.

Regards
Morgan