[ubuntu-za] php compiler

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Mar 23 12:38:28 GMT 2009

Hi Guys

I've downloaded and compiled the Roadsend PHP compiler mentioned in my
system.

However, I have one problem which affects its operation, but I'm sure
there's a general fix for it.  RoadSend installed its main executables
in /usr/local/bin and a few libraries in /usr/local/lib.  However when I
run the Roadsend compiler it complains about not finding the libraries
which are located in the /usr/local/lib directory.

To get it to run I have to first execute: "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib", after which the compiler works.
Unfortunately this only applies to the open terminal window.  When I
open a new terminal I have to do it again.

The "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" variable (and "ld" for that sake) is not specific
to Roadsend? In fact "/usr/local/lib" is also a common directory for
libraries. It is also specified in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf file.
Admittedly, I don't know too much about how ld (and shared libraries)
work.

Could there be a general fix for this?

Charl