[ubuntu-za] (no subject)

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Mar 18 20:09:41 GMT 2009

Thanks guys!

I got a lot of information and sifted through all of it.  However, there
seems to be one major problem when it comes to making a virtual machine
of an existing Windoze Vista partition... Micro$oft removed bootable
hardware profiles from Vista!

The licencing of Windoze XP and Vista is linked to the hardware you run
it on.  In XP you can create different hardware profiles; one for
physical and one for the virtual machine.  This allows the same licence
to operate on different hardware configurations.  When you boot up you
get a boot menu in which you choose which hardware profile you should
use.  So when you boot it as a the Virtual machine you simply pick the
virual maching profile.

In Vista they removed this functionality.  So as Russell described
you'll have to re-activate Windoze if you go this route as you are
effectively running Vista on a new set of hardware invalidating the
license.

PS: After some research I found that many people have threatened to
switch to alternative operating systems as a result.  Amazing none of
these were people's problems had anything to do with virtual machines!
They were all Widoze users!!

Just another reason why we loved to hate Windoze!  I'm only using
Windoze once every two months so I may as well format the partition and
download some more nifty Linux programs ;-)

Thanks for the help anyway!
Charl