[ubuntu-za] 27News-Youtube: Ubuntu Causes Girl to Drop out of College (update & correction)

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:00:33 GMT 2009

2009/2/3 Péter Nel <petern2 at openweb.co.za>

>  Sorry, correction: not cnn, but 27News.
>
> *Ubuntu Causes Girl To Drop Out of College*
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>
> *Update: Ubuntu Causes Girl To Drop Out of College*
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QQekFkgpFJs
>
> watch both

* I think the first clip wasn't negative for ubuntu, as it actually proved
that she can do everything she needed with ubuntu
(openoffice/internet/university), even though she was supposed to contact
her internet provider and university to figure out how to do it.
* I think it is really sad that the linux community flamed her so badly and
even harrased her. It really gives us a bad name. At least some people tried
to help her.

Eventually I surely want people like her to be able to use ubuntu with no
hassles. Maybe this shows ubuntu is not ready. Although I think its more a
problem with third parties (ISPs, universities, etc) which don't support
linux, or don't support it publicly, because we are such a minority. I think
people that do know better should complain more. Eg, if I find a website
which doesn't work on firefox/kubuntu, I send them an e-mail. I believe if
enough people complain companies would force their (narrowminded) IT
departments to ship proper browser/OS independant websites.

regards
marius