[ubuntu-za] 3G modem in Ubuntu

wez wesley.werner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 07:47:31 GMT 2009

Hi William

> The first is that I don't shut my netbook down, but rather keep it in
> suspend.  If I plug the modem in after resuming from a suspend, the USB
> drive is not always recognized as a drive or a modem, although lsusb lists
> the device and the lights on the modem indicate activity.  I have a similar
> issue with the external dvd drive that I use.  How do I force ubuntu to
> identify the modem as anything?

Some usb devices have power/suspend issues, usually because hardware vendors
use proprietary drivers, so the GNU/Linux developers don't have any official
documentation to base their drivers off, and we end up with incomplete
suspend/resume support for these devices. In these cases I don't think
finding a work-around is worth it, and a full shutdown is my answer.

> The second issue is that I want to know if anyone has had success in
> getting Ubuntu to load the modem as a modem automatically, without having to
> unmount it as a drive etc...
>
> There are a couple of solutions on the net, but I wanted to ask if anyone
> on the group has a simple solution that works before I try and hack a
> solution.

My 3G modem had the same issue in Intrepid. Turns out the modem hosts a fake
CD drive, that conflicts with the modem. Back then I found a way to
configure the system to automatically disable the fake drive when you
connect the modem; See the details and link in my post
here<http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7314070&postcount=6>.
A better option than a work-around, would be to log this issue on Launchpad
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu>so that an official patch is released,
that will make sure everyone else with the same modem will benefit too :)