[ubuntu-za] 3G modem in Ubuntu

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:39:20 GMT 2009

"The second issue is that I want to know if anyone has had success in
getting Ubuntu to load the modem as a modem automatically, without having to
unmount it as a drive etc..."

Hi William

I have used one of the Vodaphone / Vodacome 3G USB modems successfully in
9.10. It wasn't on my computer, but on a friends desktop I was helping with.
The modem was picked up automatically no problem without having to unmount
it first. It just worked out of the box, picked it up,  and I was
successfully able to connect.

> "The first is that I don't shut my netbook down, but rather keep it in
> suspend.  If I plug the modem in after resuming from a suspend, the USB
> drive is not always recognized as a drive or a modem, although lsusb lists
> the device and the lights on the modem indicate activity.  I have a similar
> issue with the external dvd drive that I use.  How do I force ubuntu to
> identify the modem as anything?"

In my very novice experience with suspend, It sounds like some of your
devices are not waking up correctly after resume from suspend. I had to
force my card reader to detect SD cards on my netbook, if they were not
present on boot, although I have not experienced a USB device not waking up.

Sorry I know this isnt much helpfull advice of hacks but just wanted to try
answer your two questions...

Josh