[ubuntu-za] MediBuntu

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Mon Aug 24 14:51:48 BST 2009

Hi Johan,

I think LMMS might do the job

William
From: ubuntu-za-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [ubuntu-za-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Johan Mynhardt [johanmynhardt at gmail.com]
Sent: 24 August 2009 15:14
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] MediBuntu

On 24/08/2009 14:28, Karl Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:10, Charl
> Wentzel<charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I've convinced a friend of mine to let me install Ubuntu for him.  He is
>> a professional musician that produces music for a well-known soap on
>> SABC. I want to ensure that the installation is relevant to what he
>> does, i.e. writing & producing music.
>>
>> Other than Ubuntu Studio, is there other Ubuntu variants or packages I
>> should consider uploading for him, that relates to writing & producing
>> music at a professional level?
>>
>> Regards
>> Charl
>
> You can try Jokosher ... not very mature and Adour (http://ardour.org/)
>
> -people love JackLab and UbuntuStudio :D
>
> You can also try
> http://www.dynebolic.org/
> http://www.64studio.com
>

> Karl

Hmm, I also want to throw in something, not in terms of specific
products though.

I *love* the way audio is being handled in Linux, especially when it
comes to the framework. Everything I say might not be 100% correct but
I'm working off memory here. Also, my focus here is on the workings and
what I have learnt in time.

JACK is the thing that in my opinion matters the most here. Since the
framework provides you with a wealth of possibilities. When you have a
working JACK environment you can do whatever you want since it is what
other applications call "patch bays" where you can mix and send output
to other applications outside of the "main" application where you record
and master your waves. At first when I started playing around with audio
this entire system was quite intimidating. When one do not know where to
start it's also a big challenge. In the end you will find that the
entire system is very modular and by fine-tuning what you have to throw
at it, you can have a pretty decent system, capable of producing
commercial quality results.
I'd say that if you are just touching the water, try on Ubuntu first,
but later on, when it get serious, move to a target system, like the
mentioned 64Studio. Only have I read this, but the serious people really
thin down their systems to only what they need, also compiling modules
into the kernel for lower latency.

Now... I am waiting for something with the power of FLStudio (Without
the same price-tag).

--
Johan Mynhardt - Free State Linux Users Group

+2772 432 8108 | johanmynhardt at gmail.com
http://flug.org.za | http://nuvolari.co.za
irc://irc.freenode.net (#flug.org.za | #ubuntu-za)

"This e-mail is subject to our Disclaimer, to view click http://www.dut.ac.za"