[ubuntu-za] Resize LVM root partition

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Aug 19 14:20:31 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 15:04 +0200, Stefan Lesicnik wrote:

>         To resize it I issue the following command:
>
>          sudo lvextend -L500M /dev/phantom-vg1/root
>
> I normally use a plus. ie. lvextend -L+500M /dev/phantom-vg1/root
>
> I think this says add, as opposed to make the partition 500M.
> (although this may have changed)

I tried that approach but iIt makes no difference ... unfortunately

> Can you delete some files. That would at least let it write stuff.
>
> Remember after lvextend, you still need to do a filesystem resize.
> resize_reiserfs or resize2fs

Ok, as silly is it may seem, I this is a problem too... I don't know
what to delete.  I also have logical volumes for:
 /boot
 /var
 /usr
 /tmp
 /home
 /swap

So deleting from these directories won't affect the root volume. Yeah I
know, I was really enjoying LVM at the time and may have been a bit
over-zealous.

So any ideas what I can "safely" delete from the remaining directories
in root?
/lib, /mnt, /sys, /bin, /dev, /opt, /sbin, /vmlinuz, /media, /proc

I'm still baffled at what filled up the partition in the first place!!
PS: Where's the apt archive?  Maybe that could be it?!

Charl