[ubuntu-za] HARDY

Vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Thu Sep 11 10:53:12 BST 2008

I have recently installed hardy on my computer running a duel boot
system with xp pro - Previously had installed feisty with which I was
very happy until it crashed, not allowing me into ubuntu or windows. The
IT people I normally deal with knew nothing about how to repair Linux
with the result that they formatted my hard drive & reloaded windows,
losing all files - Yes I know - BACKUP!!
My problem now is extreme nervousness as hardy seems to have a number of
bugs in it as follows:
1.	Wont turn off or shut down computer, the screen just goes blank but
keeps running - The off button on the tower is non-responsive & the only
way to turn off is to press the reboot button which works, then go into
windows & turn off.
2.	Doesn't recognise my monitor or windows graphics card & wouldn't
install in normal mode - Just blanked the screen.
I could only install in safe graphics mode on 800x600 resolution -
feisty had no problems in this & ran in 1024x768.
The card is a S3 Graphics Pro-Savage DDR windows type.
3.	Evolution wont open multiple page faxes, only shows me the first
page.
The faxes download in .TIFF
I have sent this problem to evolution & they came back after testing my
fax which I sent to them, saying the problem appears to lay with the eye
of gnome program & to report it to you.
My options on this one at present are to open in gimp & print page by
page, or to save to a flash drive & open in windows - Something I'm
finding a tad time wasting.
The printing(fonts)on these faxes are so small as to be almost
unreadable, but prints out fine in windows - I've tried everything to
change the font size but no joy.
4.	I'm not sure if this one is an evo or ubuntu problem, but while
composing an email, ubuntu turned off by itself, in exactly the same way
as if I'd selected shut down - Blank screen, computer still running &
having to reboot at the tower - Evo fortunately recovered my work after
restart - Evolution ver. 2.22.1 is installed in hardy.
I haven't downloaded any updates as yet for either ubuntu or evolution.

Please folks, if anyone can help with my hassles I'd be really grateful
as I enjoy using ubuntu, it's got a great "feel" about it & in my
opinion, is a quicker more enjoyable system than windows to use.

Regards
Vince