[ubuntu-za] Getting the basics right - a reality bytes wishlist

Walter Leibbrandt walter+ubuntuza at translate.org.za
Wed Oct 15 14:09:04 BST 2008

Hi,

Fredre Hattingh wrote:
> I agree. If I could magically create software that just works I would
> create a website that interfaces with the repository's. Each user can
> then register and select something like "I have a standard Ubuntu
> install" then search for an application to download and based on the
> users current install and previous downloads the website will get all
> the required packages zip them up and offer the user a download.

Isn't that equivalent (at least partly) to what Synaptic's "Generate
package download script" feature (under the "File" menu) does?

--
Walter Leibbrandt                  http://translate.org.za/blogs/walter
Software Developer                                  +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blogs:
* Switching from Subversion to git
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/walter/en/content/switching-subversion-git
* The first official release of Spelt
* Auto-completion and auto-correction for Gtk+ widgets