[ubuntu-za] Request for sponsored hosting and sysadmin resources to replace Canonical hosting

Kyle Williams kylewilliams at openwarriors.org
Thu Jan 24 16:44:08 GMT 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 14:19:33 Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> > However, given that there seems to be a shortage of sysadmin
> > resources, I'd like to look into hosting our site ourselves, with
> > local sponsorship of the infrastructure costs, and a set of
> > individuals who have responsibility to keep the server secure, up, and
> > with the apps we want[3] installed, configured and maintained, with
> > backups etc.
>
> +1 for that, I think it would be best if it was self-hosted.

+1...add my vote to that as well.

> I have an Ubuntu (Gutsy) on a Xen box that is backed up daily (to a box
> in the US and a box in my bedroom). I can give access to one or two
> people who would need access to the box, but can't to everybody,
> unfortunately. We can see if there's any other suggestions/offers, I'm
> sure Frogfoot wouldn't mind hosting it either, but if at all possible, I
> like to have websites ad-free.

I think we should keep this as a final option, especially with all the power
cuts expected over the next few years. Also, I don't think we'd really want
to burden you with having to supply enough bandwidth, maintain good uptime,
etc.

I also agree with keeping the website ad-free - would Frogfoot insist on
having an ad?

> While moin is great wiki software, I think we should go Mediawiki
> instead. Moin is a pain to upgrade, to the point that the Ubuntu wiki
> software has never been upgraded since it was originally installed,
> which causes great pain for the documentation and accessibility team
> (there are great plugins for both that only work with newer moinmoin
> versions). We also have more experience in our team for Mediawiki, and
> now how to keep it spam-free, making it look, behave decent and enabling
> nice features like open ID and page protection.

Yup, I completely agree. The CLUG wiki is really good looking, easy to
navigate and use, and just a general pleasure to work with.
On that same note, even if the choice is to stick with moin, I really think
the Ubuntu-za wiki needs a makeover.

> (if anything doesn't make sense, ask me and I'll clarify, I'm on allergy
> pills so some wording might end mixed up :)

Was all 100% clear :)

Kyle

--
Kyle Williams
kylewilliams (at) openwarriors (dot) org
Jabber: kylewilliams at jabber.obsidian.co.za
Blog: http://www.kylewilliams.co.za