[ubuntu-za] WiFi

Dale Marshall dalemar at telkomsa.net
Sun Feb 17 10:25:55 GMT 2008

Good day Michael

The whole story with helping André boiled down to familiarising him with
Ubuntu. We reverted back to regular Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome desktop
(Installed under graphics safe mode for the laptop) and from there
everything basically worked out of the box. We had turned off the hidden
ssid option on his SMC router and the live cd could connect to it
without fuss. André have you tried hiding the ssid again and seeing if
the 2 machines will still connect?

Installation of the ATI driver was done with the Restricted Drivers
Manager. The only true issues we had were on the laptop which was with a
swap space error which was resolved (These being the things that André
doesn't understand and at this point isn't necessary as it should never
be a problem) and what seems to be an unresolved bug which doesn't let
the laptop boot without pressing ctrl+alt+f1 at a specific point -
anyone have any ideas? (ask André for dmesg output, there is an error to
do with modules if I remember correctly but our day was over already)

The desktop machine worked flawlessly with no issues whatsoever.

Basically everything just works (without the need for a million custom
scripts) as has been my general experience with Ubuntu (I'm getting the
impression that this isn't always the case for kubuntu but I'm not used
to the interface of it and am biased towards gnome I suppose) for some
time and I'm glad I got to prove that to André. Michael I'm not exactly
certain what you're asking. Are you wanting to go to any location and be
able to connect to whatever wireless connection is available to you?
i.e. roaming

If that is the case then Ubuntu should be doing so without hassle. Just
check under System -> Administration -> Network (not sure of the UIé
method in kde, system settings maybe?) and ensure that you have roaming
mode enabled. From there it should be the case of just left clicking the
networkmanager icon and selecting which network to connect to. It will
ask you to enter the key and security type - this will then be stored
with Keyring (entries can be viewed using keyring manager) and will
connect to the network from thereon if it is present or if specifically
selected.

Hope that helps in some way.

Regards
Dale