[ubuntu-za] Partitioning

Hilton Gibson hgibson at sun.ac.za
Mon May 28 13:43:42 BST 2007

Hi Bill

I assume you installed Ubuntu first then Vista. I have not done this myself. I
am not a Vista user at all. But the common problem with installing Ubuntu
first and then XP, in my case, was the fact that XP thought it was the ONLY
operating system on the disk and then proceeded to overwrite the crafted MBR
(Master Boot Record) made by the Ubuntu installer previously.

This happened often with Ubuntu, then XP installations that there used to be a
rescue option with the Breezy CD if I remember correctly that restored the
correct MBR and fixed the grub bootloader.

My suggestion is this. First install Vista onto one partition. If the Vista
installer allows it create another FAT32 partition (can only be 20GB - this
is the FAT32 limit - you can create several FAT32 partitions if you want) and
leave the rest as empty unused space.

Next during the Feisty installation, select manual partitioning. Create a root
(system) partition of 20GB formatted using ext3, then a swap partition of 2 x
installed RAM. The rest you leave for the /home partition/folder. Select to
mount the FAT32 partitions under /media/win/C and /media/win/D, for example
(try to use the same drive letters Vista does).

That should do it.

Remember, first Microsoft installation, then Ubuntu. Microsoft is not a good
neighbour on your only hard disk.

Cheers

H.

--
Hilton Gibson
Ubuntu System Administrator

Tel: +27 21 808 4989 | Cell: 084 646 4758
E-pos/E-mail: hgibson at sun.ac.za
Website: http://staff.ee.sun.ac.za/~hgibson
Maties Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.sun.ac.za