[ubuntu-za] Installing from boot up - is it possible

Jason Norwood-Young jason at freespeechpub.co.za
Thu Oct 12 21:50:29 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 21:09 +0200, Derek Lane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received the CD for 6.06 and would like to install from boot up rather
> from the live Cd environment.
> The PC only has 128MB ram and it hangs from the live CD environment.
> i.e. Is it possible to do this ?
>
> I have looked at all the docuemnts @ ubunti.com and I am unable to find
> "command line" type install document (how to).

Hi Derek

To do a command line install, you'll need to download (or otherwise
acquire) a copy of Ubuntu 6.06 Alternate CD. There are three types of
CDs available for Ubuntu as of Dapper Drake - the Live CD (which you
have), the Alternate CD which does a command line install, and a DVD
with both versions.

The quickest and easiest way to get the Alternate CD is to download it
from the Internet (local mirror is
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/distributions/ubuntu/releases/6.06/)

If you're short on bandwidth, find your nearest Freedom Toaster
(http://www.freedomtoaster.org/) and get it from there. Petrol is much
cheaper than bandwidth in South Africa.

Hope this helps.