[ubuntu-x] evdev and absolute axes help

Jean-François Dagenais dagenaisj at sonatest.com
Thu Nov 10 17:51:52 UTC 2011

Thanks for trying to help...
On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:39, Chase Douglas wrote:

> On 11/09/2011 02:49 PM, Jean-François Dagenais wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using maverick,
>> I have tried for the last two days to do something which some X developers would find quite trivial I imagine. We have a capacitive wheel using the ad714x.c driver in the kernel. In my latest desperations, I have changed the events sent by ad714x.c so they are BTN_LEFT and ABS_Y so that it better matches what a mouse does. I am trying to make this wheel do what a regular mouse wheel does. OR even better, send a keyboard keycode (one for up, one for down), which I may do later by hacking the evdev code. But first things first, why I am not able to get this to work...
>
> I'm confused by what you are trying to do. I'm not sure I'll be able to
> help until I understand what you want the end result to be. If you could
> start out with a description of your device and what it should logically
> be doing that would help me.
Well, as you see from the evtest dump I included, I have a capacitance touch wheel. The events it sends out (EV_TOUCH pressed/release, and ABS_WHEEL position) is not useable in our X application. We want to map these movements to events our application can better respond to, like button events (mouse wheel) or better yet, key events, for example KP_UP and KP_DOWN.

FYI, the evtest says "LeftBtn" and "Absolute" Y, but BNT_TOUCH and ABS_WHEEL are the real events the vanilla ad714x.c driver sends. I just made these modifications while desperately trying to get some results.

> Thanks!
>
> -- Chase

Jean-Francois Dagenais
Software Architect - B.Sc.A

Experience the new veo phased array flaw detector at www.sonatestveo.com.

Sonatest AP
2900 chemin des Quatre-Bourgeois
Bureau 305
Quebec City Quebec G1V 1Y4

T| +1 (418) 683 6222 x106   F| +1 (418) 683 7032   M|    W| www.sonatest.com

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of chase.douglas at canonical.com, xorg-devel at lists.x.org, Ubuntu-x at lists.ubuntu.com and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the above recipient(s) you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Think green - help the environment by not printing this email.