[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu Oneiric (11.10) X.org Plans

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Sun Jun 5 06:15:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 01:41:21AM -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 12:41 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >>
> >>Is it still going to be as easy to manually switch to GNOME classic?
> >
> >Does GNOME 3 support classic mode as an option?
> >
> >Bryce
> >
> Yes. GNOME 3 has a fallback gnome-panel mode. It is of course GTK3.
>
> I'm not sure if it's installed as part of the default seed, but it
> relies on gnome-panel and gnome-session-fallback.
>
> I could ask the desktop team how to best approach fallback in
> general.

Good idea, yeah the interface for the different modes is sort of outside
the scope of Ubuntu X; we just want to make sure the underpinnings are
working properly for what the desktop plans.

> Yet, I honestly don't think it is appropriate for a BulletproofX
> recovery session in VESA mode.

I'm hoping to spend some time redoing that this cycle.  Btw, I prefer
calling it 'Failsafe X' rather than 'Bulletproof X'.

In my mind, the original design goal of the session is largely
irrelevant today, now that so much of the critical path logic is moved
to the kernel and since most users aren't editing xorg.confs the way
they did back in Edgy's day.

Anyway, with the intense onslaught of X bug reports it can often be hard
for me to find sufficient time to do actual development work, so no
promises, but I do hope to do some major rennovations with this, to make
it more relevant to the types of X problems people these days are having.

Bryce