[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu Oneiric (11.10) X.org Plans

Eric Appleman erappleman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 05:41:21 UTC 2011

On 06/05/2011 12:41 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:37:55AM -0400, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
>> On 06/03, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>> 1.  The default graphical fallback will change from GNOME classic to
>>>      Unity 2D where driver support for 3D is insufficient.
>>
>> Is it still going to be as easy to manually switch to GNOME classic?
>
> Does GNOME 3 support classic mode as an option?
>
> Bryce

Yes. GNOME 3 has a fallback gnome-panel mode. It is of course GTK3.

I'm not sure if it's installed as part of the default seed, but it
relies on gnome-panel and gnome-session-fallback.

I could ask the desktop team how to best approach fallback in general.
Unity 2D might be appropriate for users with weaker systems who choose
to use it or are forced to (fbdev, gallium-less nouveau, etc). Yet, I
honestly don't think it is appropriate for a BulletproofX recovery
session in VESA mode.

- Eric