[ubuntu-x] New X stack in xorg-edgers

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Jan 14 20:54:15 UTC 2011

We're going to be moving natty to its new X stack within the next week
or two.  This includes snapshots for the upcoming xserver 1.10 and mesa
7.10, along with some new driver bits.  Currently this stack is
available in xorg-edgers, and maps well to what we'll be uploading
shortly.

You can help us pre-test these bits by installing xorg-edgers on your
systems at this time.  Our testing has shown it to be quite stable, but
the devil's in the corner cases when it comes to X, so your testing will
help us get a head's start on making it work better for your HW.

1.  The PPA is available at:

    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

2.  Here's a simple way to install:

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Then reboot your system to get to the new bits.

3.  If you want to go back to stock Ubuntu, there is a corresponding
ppa-purge tool:

    sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

4.  If you happen to find bugs, you can report them the usual way:

  ubuntu-bug xorg

Include a photo of the screen if appropriate (e.g. screen corruption).

Thanks,
Ubuntu X Team