[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu Natty X.org Plans

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 09:27:28 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 19:06 -0700, bryce at canonical.com wrote:

> Target Versions for Release
> ---------------------------
>   kernel:       2.6.38
>   x-server:     1.10   [1]   (Feb 2011)
>   mesa:         7.10         (Dec 2010)
>   libdrm:       2.3.23 [2]   (Dec 2010)

Sounds great!

git HEAD stuff is pretty stable at the moment, and I've been banging on
some performance tracing work for my own GL application writing. Chris
Wilson has been pushing a lot of good stuff to the Intel driver (aside
from the current focus of Intel development, which seems to be
Sandybridge bring-up). There have been a few regressions at times, but
Alexy Fisher and I have been picking them up running xorg-edgers and
latest kernels (I have been back-porting drm from the intel git repo
into the Maverick kernel).

>   gnome:        3.0          (Dec 2010)

gnome-shell runs like a snail here, but it is just usable. Unity is
better, although gnome-shell feels a lot more polished in some areas.
Desktop management is better in gnome-shell, as is the sidebar in
general (although I can't stand the Unity one, so am biased). Unity wins
in many other regards though.

Will Unity be compiz based by Natty? There are a lot of accessibility
bits which are nice on compiz, such as colour filters / saturation
controls / window inversion etc..

Are we likely to see any PPAs for Wayland this time around?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,