[ubuntu-x] i845 freeze fix in Lucid?

Geir Ove Myhr gomyhr at gmail.com
Thu May 13 05:50:58 BST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:28:59PM -0400, Greg Bair wrote:
>> Last month, Geir Ove Myhr posted a patch for the Intel driver to fix a
>> freezing issue on i845 chipsets.  Bryce Harrington then mentioned adding
>> it to Lucid.
>
> To clarify, IIRC the patch is the upstream "Big Hammer" patch, it's not
> so much a "fix" as a set of tweaks and heuristics.

Nope, I think the patch in question was the clip solids patch to the
intel DDX driver. That patch does fix some GPU hangs, and for some it
meant that it would take longer for the computer to freeze. But the
cache coherency problem that is the big one right now is not affected
by this. So the clip-solids patch is included in Lucid LTS (and in
xserver-xorg-video-intel from version 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu2 on April 13)
but is unlikely to solve all freeze issues on 845G.

If you have a 845G and a stable Jaunty on it, I would stick with that.

Geir Ove