[ubuntu-x] Automatic GPU lockup bug reports

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Mar 24 19:39:25 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 01:11:27PM +0100, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Geir Ove Myhr <gomyhr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The first happens whether the GPU is wedged or not (as defined by
> > dev_priv->mm.wedged). There is no uevent that is triggered for all
> > chipsets, but only if the GPU is wedged, which may be what we want.
> > [...]
> > Open question:
> > - Is wedged the same as hung, or is there a subtle difference?
>
> I just realized that there is /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_wedged on
> Lucid now the .33 drm is included [1]. Attaching this file
> automatically may aid in deciphering what's going on sometimes. I see
> the apport hook was just disabled, but possibly for next time...
>
> [1]: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f3cd474bb235f2331c1a6f579bdbf892386e5c7c

We discussed it in yesterday's meeting.  Rick, Raof, Sarvatt, and myself
reached consensus that we have a sufficient number of bug reports now on
freeze issues to work on, and at this point the script is mostly
gathering dupes (or invalid reports as your thorough analysis has
proven) so it's giving diminishing returns at the moment.
We can turn it on again later once we get these bugs resolved, but by
turning it off we can expend less manpower into triaging and hopefully
more into pulling in fixes.

Meanwhile, you've done some excellent investigation into the apport
hook, and I definitely agree it would be good to get those implemented
at least in Lucid+1.  It's a bit of a bummer that the key seems to be
carrying that temporary debug kernel patch, because I'm doubtful the
kernel team would be open to that at this late stage in the release.
(Also, I'm skeptical that even if we did this, that upstream would just
come back with something else needed.)

What I've done is scheduled a session at UDS to discuss freeze hooks in
general, and I've captured some of your advice into a wiki page[1] which
we can use for reference at the UDS session.  That session will cover
getting freeze hooks set up for -ati and -nouveau as well, that use the
infrastructure and lessons-learned we've gained doing this for -intel.
If you have further thoughts or want to do copyediting on the wiki page,
please do!  That would make life easier for whomever drafts this
blueprint post-UDS.  :-)

1: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Blueprints/ApportFreezeHooks

Bryce