[ubuntu-x] Kernel Call for Testing(CFT): DRM stack

Rafael Monica monraaf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 02:20:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 12:51 -0500, Jeremy Foshee wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	The Kernel team would like to issue a Call For Testing of the
> backported DRM stack from the .33 tree. For your reference, we have
> taken the v2.6.33 DRM backport as it greatly improves stability and
> removes the need for the Nouveau LBM module, thus cleaning up installs.
> We are, therefore, keenly interested in the results of testing
> installation and use of this DRM stack so that we can verify its
> stability for the LTS release of Lucid.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi, I tested the latest Daily Live CD with the new DRM with two
different ATI GPUs.

With the first one, a HD3200 IGP, the display turned off during boot.
Once X started the display turned back on and there were no further
issues. Note that this was also happening with a Live CD with the old
DRM. I suspect this issue is caused by Plymouth as more people have
reported problems with Plymouth.

With the second one, a HD5750, things were exactly the reverse. All
went fine during boot, but at the end of the boot the display turned
off and there was nothing I could do but reset the computer. There's
no support for this GPU in the 2.6.33 DRM, there's in drm-next git.

On a side note: Dave Airlie recently fixed a bug in Mesa that made
Blender practically unusable with R600+ GPUs. Since Blender is quite a
popular application it would be nice if we can have this bug fix in
before Lucid is released.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?h=mesa_7_7_branch&id=cf8af9bcf127e170b64112bd548d5d4e79c8e894