[ubuntu-x] Lucid support for Intel(R) HD Graphics

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Feb 12 20:35:25 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:12:26AM +0100, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
> We have started to get the first bug reports for Intel HD Graphics
> chipsets (in i3/i5/i7 processors, also known as Clarkdale and
> Arrandale).  It seems that at least some of the problems are fixed by
> using the 2.6.33 mainline kernel series [1] [2]. I thought I had seen
> somewhere that this chipset was only officially supported on 2.6.33,
> but now I can't find it and the 2009Q4 release notes mentions improved
> support in 2.6.32 [3].
>
> What would be the best solution for Lucid? Get people to git-bisect to
> the first good commit in 2.6.33? Provide a PPA with 2.6.33 with
> Ubuntu-customization?

The PPA approach is best.  We're aware that there is stuff in 2.6.33
that may require backporting onto 2.6.32 and we're currently trying to
figure out how to handle it.  So for now, if people just verify that
booting the mainline kernel solves it will be enough.  I think Intel can
give us guidance on what to backport so no need to have bug reporters
use up their time bisecting on this issue.

Thanks for raising the issue though.
Bryce