[ubuntu-x] Xserver 1.9 / 1.10 decision

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 6 07:06:48 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 23:30 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:10:28PM -0500, Eric Appleman wrote:

> > > I like the sound of 'benign'.
> > >
> > > We'd discussed a plan of putting snapshots of it into xorg-edgers, to
> > > get the packaging work squared away and get some light testing under our
> > > belt, and then plan on rolling it into release post-holidays.  Does that
> > > still seem to be a sensible strategy?
> > >
> > > Bryce
> > >

> > Fence sync just landed at the last minute. Is 1.10 now a no-go for Natty?
>
> Well, it's less benign looking now I guess.
>
> OTOH I did a quick look-thru of the patches and they didn't look too
> scary (patches are reasonably short) although they do change things in
> Damage.  But looks like something we could revert pretty simply if it
> did cause problems.

It also looks like Keith is itching to merge RandR 1.4 with per-crtc
pixmaps.  These patches touch a fair whack of stuff (RandR, driver API,
protocol).  It's not clear to me how many drivers are going to use the
newly exposed API, but it sounds like the nVidia binary driver could get
RandR 1.4 support, which would be a pretty compelling reason to pull
this.