[ubuntu-x] Kernel Call for Testing(CFT): DRM stack

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 08:10:59 BST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> Hm, I see, well I ask because my r770 only worked fine with basic 3d
>>> with bleeding edge git userspace for the new radeon driver and 2.6.33
>>> drm stuff. Once the livecd gets baked I'll give it a shot and report
>>> back. Is 3d expected to work on the current radeon userspace merged on
>>> 10.04 on r770s?
>>
>> In fact I just sponsored an update to -ati 6.12.191 a few moments ago.
>> If the version you tested was older than that version, then you should
>> be good to go.
>>
>> Btw, make sure to help forward bugs you find with -ati upstream, as
>> that's the best way to get issues resolved.  Late in the release I
>> scour through bugs in launchpad that have links to upstream bugs marked
>> fixed, and backport the fixes (or flag them as priorities for the kernel
>> team).  So the more you can do to help with this, the more bug fixes
>> we'll be able to pull in prior to release.
>
> Awesome, good to know Bryce, thanks.
>
> I used to just run git radeon from xf86-video-ati git and that worked
> fine, except for the silly fact that most 3d userspace apps I wanted
> to try did not have a counterpart 64-bit userspace app (google earth).
> Native games worked just fine for me though.
>
> I had suspend issues but I believe the issues were CPU related, the
> system had the latest AMD Phenom II.
>
> The only issue I did see which was clearly a driver issue was the lack
> of HDMI audio support. There seems to be 3 approaches to its support
> on rv770:
>
>  * radeonhd - implemented but this is not the driver to use
>  * radeon - port of the work still needed some work. See [1] and [2]
>  * KMS radeon - might have been merged into 2.6.33 or 2.6.34, I poked
> the dri list and CC'd you on my inquiry
>
> In any case, I'll give the new live CD a good spin once it comes out.
> Will tomorrow's baked CD also have your new 6.12.191 update?
>
> [1] http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2009-July/010722.html
> [2] http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2009-07/msg00188.html

I gave Ubuntu x86 10.04 beta2 CD a try today and I'm quite impressed.
Not only did 3d work on my ATI RV770 [Radeon HD 4870] but it worked
via HDMI. After installing it I had a few rounds of Cannon Smash with
Pen Drive :). It was also a pleasant surprise to see the drm that was
taken from a later upstream release was properly tagged:

mcgrof at flash ~ $ cat /proc/version_signature
Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.31-generic-pae 2.6.32.11+drm33.2

HMDI Audio is not working yet though. I've ensured to select the HDMI
output for audio output and set all levels at full blast.

A Llll mm  oooostttt  there...

  Luis