[ubuntu-x] plans for Lucid?

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Nov 19 04:58:36 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 02:57:57PM -0600, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2009/11/18 Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com>:
> > Okay, 1.7 is sounding like the logical choice. ??Any other considerations
> > we should take into account? ??Anyone else have feedback on this choice?
>
> My main interest is the GLX 1.4 support in xserver 1.8. I'm not
> exactly sure how much that's causing problems for free software
> drivers' users, but there might be some hordes of eg. close source
> games which only work with 1.4 - anyone with more information? And
> it's not even GLX 1.4 "support", it's AFAIK just an additional
> definition that "btw, DRI2-enabled drivers support GLX 1.4".
>
> I think it's just
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=ad5c0d9efa47476ed5cf75c82265c73919e468b4
> and a clarifying patch
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=4c6bfa2c09ae2b0cffdf9211a6dfbcaefe0366b5
> - if someone happens to have an known example applications that
> require 1.4, might be worth trying and finding out if it would be
> beneficial enough to even include those two commits as patches to 1.7.

Good point.  Although, if it is primarily for benefitting games, I would
guess that this class of user is going to be less constrained to using
the LTS and more likely to upgrade to Lucid+1 or even xorg-edgers in
order to gain features like this.

Aside from games, I could imagine some UI projects that might need
enhanced GL functionality - think handheld devices.  However, in these
cases the OEM team would be able to just include these patches in
Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

Bryce