[ubuntu-x] BugControl

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed May 13 22:19:49 BST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 02:05:34PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Congrats to Geir Ove Myhr for becoming BugControl!
>
>   https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-bugcontrol/msg00261.html
>
> BugControl provides additional triaging powers which will help in
> getting the -intel bug reports better organized.  More info on
> BugControl including guidelines for how to join are available here:
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl
>
> Bryce

For Geir and others who may be considering applying for BugControl
a few tips:

* You are going to be able to see private bug reports.  The vast bulk of
  these are crash reports that have a core file attached.  They're
  marked private because the core file might have personal info.  In
  general we never examine the core files ourselves, so our policy is to
  just delete the core file and mark the bug public.

* I think bug importance is already documented in wiki.  Basically,
  crashes, freezes, serious data loss, etc. ==> High.  Cosmetic issues or
  problems trivially worked around ==> Low.  Everything else ==> Medium.

  The Importance is used more as a marking of severity than of
  priority.  The setting plays only a tangential role in prioritizing
  work for developers, but it does play a useful role esp. as we near
  release for determining what needs attention.

* I often do searches for "Triaged / Not upstream" to look for bugs that
  are ready for being sent upstream.  So as you find bugs ready to be
  reported upstream, if you do not want to report them upstream
  yourself, just mark them "Triaged", and that will serve as a clue that
  me or other developers should review and forward them up.

Bryce