[ubuntu-x] -ati freeze/spin visiting mundoplus.tv ... any ideas?

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Mon May 11 20:41:39 BST 2009

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/371279

As reported in LP bug 371279, many jaunty -ati users are running into GPU
lockups or xorg CPU spins when they visit the website:  http://mundoplus.tv/

I also suspect that several of the more absurd "performance bugs" (absurd as in
xorg constantly taking 50% CPU or so) could be duplicates of this bug because
if compiz is OFF and thus the bug becomes a CPU spin that spin will be be limited
to a single core and on a modern computer clogging one core out of 4 might make
it feel like a perf issue even if your xorg is spinning 100% and the GPU has
stopped talking to xorg.

Anyway, I'd like to ask you three questions about this issue:

A)) any ideas on how I can save this repro? basically, right now if someone
running the mundoplus.tv website updates it the repro might not work anymore.
I've tried to mirror the site using "wget -m" and such but I can't get it to
repro off the mirror.

B)) does anyone have any more recent ATI hardware? I've created a list of
the affected hardware in the bug report but so far it's a lot of old r300
cards and I'm really curious to see if it affects other ATI series (r400,r500).
Even though r600/r700 can't use compiz they might still be vulnerable to the
CPU spin variant of this bug.

C)) which package should I be bisecting (I have an ATI machine here which
consistently hangs when opening mundoplus.tv). I know that the bug disappears
if I use "DRI" "off" so I'm wondering if that's sufficient to conclude that
the bug is hiding in libgl1-mesa-dri/glx ?? FWIW, it _does_ repro with
EXA+renderaccel="off" and it does _not_ repro in XAA.

---

Here is the bug numbers for reference (including potential dups):

The main MUNDOPLUS.TV bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/371279

ATI freeze bugs:
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/351990
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/350933
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/368200

POTENTIAL MUNDO DUPS:
   akkana --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/347078
   marek szuba --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/373434

   bjorn --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/372528
   3ntix --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/368461

ATI CPU 25% PERF BUG (POSSIBLE MUNDOPLUS DUPS)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/363238
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/347078
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/365886
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/366299