[ubuntu-x] XServer for Karmic

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Aug 6 09:35:42 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 10:22:24AM +0200, Miguel Mart??nez wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:58:10 -0700 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > The one other major X.org component left to be merged in is the new
> > -ati stack, which includes updates to mesa and libdrm.  Sarvatt has
> > been tracking this upstream work in his packages on xorg-edgers,
> > which I've taken and massaged into a standalone PPA here:
>
> Is that stack the one with radeon-rewrite?

Yes

> Although from what I've read
> things seem to march along nicely, I guess quite a few regressions may
> be present in that branch right now. There was a phoronix test too not
> long ago that seemed to indicate that, although things were progressing
> well, there were some regressions (expected).

Right, thus the need for a little further testing before this goes into
Karmic.

> Is it possible to include, let's say, xserver-xorg-video-radeon and
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon-rewrite? I suppose the answer is no due to
> the other changes in mesa and drm

We wouldn't want to be supporting two variants of -ati in Karmic.  It'd
force end users to be making decisions they shouldn't have to be making.
If we can't be reasonably confident that radeon-rewrite is ready, we
shouldn't ship it.

> How worthwile is it to put the radeon rewrite stuff? Would it be in
> order to fix regressions with more margin looking forward to the next
> LTS?

Yes, that's correct.

Bryce