[ubuntu-x] XServer for Karmic

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Aug 5 23:58:10 BST 2009

Hi all,

Quick note that after discussing this with a bunch of people, the
decision was finalized today that due to the lateness of xserver 1.7 we
will instead be targetting 1.6.3 in Karmic.  Timo has done the merge for
this already today.  Going forward we anticipate pulling patches in from
the 1.7 tree as makes most sense.

The -intel driver seems to be super stable with xserver 1.6.3, and
nearly everyone feels it is performing better (Phoronix posted a few
test results indicating otherwise, however they do not seem consistent
with other people's findings and may be a corner case; I've filed bugs
upstream about these regressions anyway, and Intel is investigating.)

The one other major X.org component left to be merged in is the new -ati
stack, which includes updates to mesa and libdrm.  Sarvatt has been
tracking this upstream work in his packages on xorg-edgers, which I've
taken and massaged into a standalone PPA here:

  https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/kms

I'll put out a more general announcement about this once I've had a
chance to test the PPA myself on a few machines.  Meanwhile, if you give
it a go, email me your findings.

Bryce