[ubuntu-x] x.org cpu spin / hang while using XAA on G45 with 2.4.1 driver (stack included)

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Fri Oct 3 19:00:06 BST 2008

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> So that's probably the bug to focus time on, rather than the issue when
> using XAA.
>
> Have you tried disabling compiz (e.g. sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/compiz)?

Yes. I put in "exit" straight after the #!/bin/bash like and I dont
see it in "ps aux". I also tried to disable DRI in my xorg.conf (which
is otherwise pretty much empty). Neither of these things worked, I
can sometimes survive for 1-2 seconds but in 95% of the cases the
screen starts to flash / blank out before gnome-panel has slided
into place.

>> However, I heard Zhenyu say on irc last night that he had a G43 chipset
>> machine running pretty stable (except for some window corruptions) so I
>> think trunk is in way better shape compared to the 2.4.1.1ubuntu6 version
>> that I'm using.
>
> Have you confirmed that running trunk and EXA works for you?

I tried the 2.5.96 2d driver now (without upgrading drm/mesa) and
it looks like trunk still has this bug (it freezes as described above).

>> Will intrepid have time to merge the trunk versions of intel driver repos
>> before release?
>
> There is not much time left.  We may be able to pull in individual
> patches.  The current git of -intel (and thus the next release) require
> an unreleased git version of libdrm; pulling git versions of both the
> driver and libdrm brings a very large load of risk, so would require a
> very strong justification to do something like that.
>
>> It would be a shame if all new intel cards didn't boot
>> ubuntu for the next 6 months.
>
> Do you have proof that other new intel cards are not booting ubuntu?
> All my intel hardware is booting Ubuntu okay.

I only got one machine with intel+intrepid for now so I have no proof.
When I say "modern intel hardware" I mean chipsets like G45, G43, G41 etc
and I suspect all of these currently does not work (but I have only tried
the G45 though, and also only with a specific motherboard).

Martin