[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu X goals for Intrepid

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Tue Apr 15 22:16:47 BST 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With Hardy winding down, it's time to think about what goals we'd like
> to see from Intrepid for Xorg in Ubuntu.
>
> Here's what I'd like to propose:
>
>  a.  Get our total bug count to < 1000 (1500 currently)
>      - Special focus on -ati bugs
>  b.  Hardy LTS maintenance
>  c.  Upgrade to latest xserver late in Intrepid (FFe)
>  d.  Get Input Hotplug integrated
>  e.  Solidify/polish Xrandr GUI support

maybe also track upstream drm changes a bit more closely, since the whole
stack (TTM/DRI2/whatiforgot) is getting mainstream bit by bit, and if not
merged in the kernel version that Intrepid will use, ask for backporting
it..

and that brings us to:

    f. package nouveau (basically done already, but currently needs
       drm from git etc)

> On the LTS maintenance work, I plan on focusing on this myself for the
> next few months; I'm hoping this helps free up others to focus on
> Intrepid work.

Hehehe :) Maybe we can get X.Org 7.4 merged/synced during UDS Prague, so
after that we can all have a nice summer holiday.. (I'll be away for at
least four weeks during June and July) :)

> The Xorg release schedule always seems to put something new out right as
> we hit freeze.  We opted to skip it the past two times, but for Intrepid
> I've thought maybe we could be more aggressive and upgrade to the newest
> xserver as a planned Feature Freeze Exception.  Thoughts?

Well, 7.5 / xserver-1.6 is another 6-9 months away from May, so it's
probably a bit off our schedule. But we could merge some upstream features
if they are otherwise ready.

> We decided to postpone input hotplug for Hardy, but we should look at it
> again.  Anyone know offhand what exactly needs done?

By default it uses evdev for both keyboards and mice, but F9 uses it only
for mice since it's apparently more or less broken for keyboards. Maybe
it's the configuration problem that made them do it. We should have only
one place for configuration, not many (xorg.conf vs. an fdi-file vs.
console-setup..). So, keyboard options are tricky to handle.

> I think we must also include some config tool(s) for input devices
> (esp. Wacom tablets).  Perhaps a command line tool of some sort, plus
> some experimental GUI prototypes?  Anyone know of plans for work in this
> area?

Yes that would be nice, and maybe even backport it to 8.04. Otherwise
all/most input devices should become hotpluggable over time, so let's
monitor the situation and pull what we need to get the most important ones
working OOTB (wacom, synaptics etc).

> How do these sound as objectives?  What other projects/objectives are
> you thinking of undertaking for this release?

We'll probably be talking during UDS about splitting nvidia/fglrx out from
l-r-m, because they're too complicated to update right now. And other
stuff, when it pops on my mind again..