[UbuntuWomen] Non-members posting! [was] Re: Fwd: [Blueprint community-1311-ubuntu-women] Ubuntu Women Trusty Goals

bapoumba bapoumba at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 14 11:29:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:02:48 +0200, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
<lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM, svakSha <svaksha at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I've changed the subject line to reflect the discussion at hand.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
>> <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> As an aside: Since we need the mailing list to accept non-member
>>> postings in order for blueprint updates to work, I've asked svaksha to
>>> loosen the restriction on posting to the list so that emails land in
>>> the moderation queue. She had to restrict posting to members in order
>>> to handle spam, so we'll have to recruit more moderators to handle the
>>> spam queue, please contact her if you're interested in helping out :)
>>
>> For any Foss team/project, its important to be open and transparent,
>> hence, I'm forced to post pleia2's irc message here as the
>> #ubuntu-women channel is not logged and I find her irc message
>> accusatory and insulting, largely based on fallacies which I'm trying
>> to clear below.
>
> I'm very sorry.
>
> My knee-jerk reaction to your comment "thanks to spammers (i just
> cleared 2 in the Queue) non-subscribers are not allowed to post" is to
> add more list moderators, so I was trying to get you that help. This
> does not mean the mailing list admins are doing a "bad" job, it just
> means more effort is required to keep the list running with a
> non-member moderation queue. That's ok!
>
> I was very happy to see at least 3 experienced mailing list admins
> step up in IRC after I made my comments, it's great to see such a
> healthy community of volunteers, so thank you all.
>
> Since we have this pool of willing volunteers, I think adding a few
> more is a better solution than asking new and casual contributors to
> subscribe to the mailing list with their alternate addresses and set
> up nomail so that their blueprint updates make it to the list. It also
> gives us the opportunity to review mails from non-subscribers that are
> not spam, as I notice on other Ubuntu lists I admin on that there are
> valuable messages that sometimes come in from folks who are unfamiliar
> with how mailing lists work, and as Valorie said, most folks believe
> their message will be seen by someone.
>
> I hope this clears things up.

Hello,

Just trying to contribute positively. I have had a long break away from
Ubuntu and have been back on the forums moderation team since last summer.
I'll probably need to refresh my mailing lists skills, but if you need
some hands and eyes to sort out spam from legitimate posts, I can help. I
make time for the forums on a daily basis.

Cheers,
Isabelle.

--
bapoumba