[UbuntuWomen] Non-members posting! [was] Re: Fwd: [Blueprint community-1311-ubuntu-women] Ubuntu Women Trusty Goals

Silvia Bindelli silvia.bindelli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:18:05 UTC 2014

Hello all,

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM, svakSha <svaksha at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I've changed the subject line to reflect the discussion at hand.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
>> <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> As an aside: Since we need the mailing list to accept non-member
>>> postings in order for blueprint updates to work, I've asked svaksha to
>>> loosen the restriction on posting to the list so that emails land in
>>> the moderation queue. She had to restrict posting to members in order
>>> to handle spam, so we'll have to recruit more moderators to handle the
>>> spam queue, please contact her if you're interested in helping out :)
>>
>> For any Foss team/project, its important to be open and transparent,
>> hence, I'm forced to post pleia2's irc message here as the
>> #ubuntu-women channel is not logged and I find her irc message
>> accusatory and insulting, largely based on fallacies which I'm trying
>> to clear below.
>
> I'm very sorry.
>
> My knee-jerk reaction to your comment "thanks to spammers (i just
> cleared 2 in the Queue) non-subscribers are not allowed to post" is to
> add more list moderators, so I was trying to get you that help. This
> does not mean the mailing list admins are doing a "bad" job, it just
> means more effort is required to keep the list running with a
> non-member moderation queue. That's ok!

I will not comment about this part of the discussion, as I feel it's a
personal issue between Elizabeth and Svaksha, so I think it should be
clarfied between the two of you.

> I was very happy to see at least 3 experienced mailing list admins
> step up in IRC after I made my comments, it's great to see such a
> healthy community of volunteers, so thank you all.
>
> Since we have this pool of willing volunteers, I think adding a few
> more is a better solution than asking new and casual contributors to
> subscribe to the mailing list with their alternate addresses and set
> up nomail so that their blueprint updates make it to the list. It also
> gives us the opportunity to review mails from non-subscribers that are
> not spam, as I notice on other Ubuntu lists I admin on that there are
> valuable messages that sometimes come in from folks who are unfamiliar
> with how mailing lists work, and as Valorie said, most folks believe
> their message will be seen by someone.
>
> I hope this clears things up.

I fully agree on this part, I think it's a good idea to add more
admins (especially, if we have already some volunteers!) and allow for
messages from non-subscribers.
I also like the approach suggested by Valerie: instead of dropping
external messages we should simply moderate them. I also administer a
few mailing lists and that's the approach we adopt in our loco team.
However, I must admit that the volume of spam is not comparable, hence
I agree with Lyz about adding more admins.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!
Silvia