[UbuntuWomen] Check This : Defining sexism etc

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 8 16:29:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:
> A 'guide to feminism' can be added ... the geek feminism wiki is very
> incomplete.
> So it is difficult to use.

Do you think you could work directly on the geek feminism wiki to
improve this situation?

Historically we've intentionally avoided writing our own guides to
sexism and similar because of a couple key factors:

1. There are organizations of folks already doing this that not only
serve tech folks in general, but those with geekier interests and the
wider feminist community. We'd much rather work with them and
contribute to their materials so it all can be improved rather than
creating our own (this is why the "ChallengingSexisim" wiki is a
collection of links). It's the feminist documentation version of
"contributing to upstream" :)

2. We are an international group with various backgrounds, experiences
and more who come together with a single purpose: to support and
encourage women to use and contribute to Ubuntu. When you get into
specific definitions surrounding sexism and similar topics we have
found that we end up with conversations that no longer serve this goal
because we are such a widely diverse group with different feelings
about how they should be approached. We'd much rather link to a
variety of resources than backing a single resource that we wrote.

So unless there are specific guides that are more Ubuntu-specific (ie
- how to go about reporting poor behavior in the Ubuntu community,
what the Ubuntu Code of Conduct means for me) I'd be very cautious
about embarking on our own documentation writing project for the more
basic topics.

http://www.princessleia.com