[UbuntuWomen] New Member Intro

॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Wed Sep 14 09:44:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 19:21, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> Op vrijdag 09-09-2011 om 11:51 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef ॥ स्वक्ष:
> ॥:
>> GNUmed[0] is an EHR program that can be used at small doctors clinics
>> and suchlike. They have a very active development team and always
>> welcome more contributors and feedback too.
>>
>> Than, there is DebianMed[1] -- dont go by the name :)  Its a medley
>> tools for biology, Oncology, bioinformatics, record management
>> systems, phylogenetics and a lot more. Take a look at their "tasks"[2]
>> page for a full listing.
>>
>> [0] http://wiki.gnumed.de
>> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed
>> [2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/
>>
>> There are many other tools that are not packaged (some are underway)
>> for Debian (or Ubuntu) so if you want more information, feel free to
>> mail me off-list :)
>
> Interesting, a retired doctor asked me about EHR programs a couple of
> months ago, but I didn't know much about it.  He said he looked at some
> projects, but complained most of them were written from a doctor's
> office (management?) point-of-view, and not from a patient point-of-view
> (I seem to remember he was involved in some project to help improve
> healthcare somewhere in Africa, but that might be wrong).

There are a few softwares out there but since most of the Floss
EMR/EHR software are implemented in developed nations, its not at the
off-the-shelf usage level and yes, its mostly from the Management
perspective which may not be terribly useful for a developing nation
as they may have a different set of requirements and/or the patients
have less access to resources. Ex. The software usually have 'prior
appointment' feature but here, most sick patients would walk-in at a
general clinic, making the feature redundant.

Also, impo, also depends on who is interested in the software and what
they plan to use it for.... if the end user is looking for an EMR
implementation s/he would be less interested in in the development
language (perl, python or java?) nor nitpick over the license (less
GPL Vs. AGPL Vs. BSD discussions, but you'd still need to know how to
parse legalese :)) , rather show more interest in the existing
features or may want it customized heavily. I'm trying to avoid using
the "Enterprise" word here ... :)

Here are some more EMR/EHR programs:
[0] Oscar, http://www.oscarcanada.org/
[1] Trisano, http://www.trisano.com/solutions

> Maybe I should get him in contact with some of you (or maybe there are
> useful mailing lists/groups for this?).

Sure, feel free to get in touch off-list :)

Btw, did you mean a discussion group list regarding medical software?
I tend to limit myself to Debian/Ubuntu and afaik, within these Floss
projects I've only come across *-devel lists so if you find gnumed
interesting you can track their development here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=gnumed

Other individual projects may have discussion lists but they may be
limited to the software users help or discussion list. I'm not aware
of a general discussion list for medical software.

HTH,
vid
॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ http://svaksha.com