[UbuntuWomen] New Member Intro

॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Fri Sep 9 11:51:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 03:40, Jennifer Halsey <jen.parkway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
> Thank you for your warm welcome to Ubuntu-Women.  I have been using desktop
> Linux in my home since 2000 and Ubuntu fairly regularly since 5.04.  I have
> met some of you at Southeast Linux Fest.  I am not sure why I never joined
> the Ubuntu-Women group previously, other than to say that I seriously wonder
> what I have to offer.  I do not work in computers, but rather in healthcare
> coding and compliance.  I am also a homeschool mom, so my interests in FOSS
> have stemmed mostly from these fields - trying to do things in a cost
> effective way without losing functionality.  Recently, I have been very
> interested in finding a Open EHR program to which I could contribute my
> medical coding knowledge.

Hello and Welcome to UW, Jennifer :)

GNUmed[0] is an EHR program that can be used at small doctors clinics
and suchlike. They have a very active development team and always
welcome more contributors and feedback too.

Than, there is DebianMed[1] -- dont go by the name :)  Its a medley
tools for biology, Oncology, bioinformatics, record management
systems, phylogenetics and a lot more. Take a look at their "tasks"[2]
page for a full listing.

[0] http://wiki.gnumed.de
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/

There are many other tools that are not packaged (some are underway)
for Debian (or Ubuntu) so if you want more information, feel free to
mail me off-list :)

PS: JFTR, all the FLOSS project teams would thank you for contributing
your time and sharing your knowledge :)

ciao,
--
॥ स्वक्ष: ॥ http://svaksha.com