[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu Open Week Session on Ubuntu Women - Logs Online!

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Fri May 7 03:53:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 02:47, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu Open Week[0] is finishing up tomorrow, and just like every time
> we had a session on Ubuntu Women!
>
> This time Amber took the reins and led the session, the logs are up here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekLucid/UbuntuWomen

Nice slides Amber. Just wanted to correct the error in the statement
"In 2007 Elizabeth Krumbach (pleia2) was instrumental in getting all
the pieces and parts (mailing list, forums, irc, and website) joined
together for one collaborative Ubuntu Women Project working together
under shared common goals." </quote>

A short history:: The UW mailing list started in Feb2006 which Mark
approved in the earlier month and upon my request he approved the
purchase of 5 domains as the ubuntuwomen.org domain was registered by
a woman (iirc from the forums), who later agreed to redirect the
domain to point to the official ubuntu-women.org at my request.
Currently the whois for this domain is "not found" and I believe the
ownership should remain with Canonical if they decide to purchase the
sixth TLD.
Although the forums and irc were started in 2005, they were unofficial
efforts started by different individuals and I remember having long
discussions with some forums folks and finally went alone to the CC
meeting to get the IRC channel approved as the women were being
harassed over being an unofficial channel with threats to close it.
That said, in summary, in March/April 2006 when I had started writing
the static pages which was going to be ported from w.u.c, I had linked
the forums and irc information on the UW website and also on the
wiki.u-w.org in April2006, not 2007. When Elizabeth came to manage the
server in 2007 she linked the forums and added more links to the
sidebar.  Incase you use these excellent slides elsewhere please
reflect the correct information as a number of forums and irc folks
and Canonical employees had co-operated to my requests, came under a
single UW umbrella and it seems cavil to ignore their efforts half a
decade on which I'm sure was not the intent :)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2006-February/thread.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2006-March/000143.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2006-March/000125.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2006-March/000121.html

Just ask if you want more UW history as there are more links and
information which I would be happy to share :)

--
thanks and regards,
vid || http://svaksha.com