[UbuntuWomen] UW Wiki translations, We need your Help!

Melissa Weber Mendonca melissawm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 20:04:58 UTC 2010

Em Terça-feira 30 Março 2010, às 01:18:46, idleone escreveu:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I don't think I ever introduced myself to the list. My name is John and
> I have been a part of the ubuntu-women team for a short time. I am
> mostly active in #ubuntu-women and #ubuntu-women-project.
>
> With the help and push on the back I needed from pleia2 and elky. I
> decided to begin translating wiki.ubuntu-women.org to French so that the
> project can better include non English speaking women and men to
> contribute.
>
> I would like to invite you all to start translating the UW wiki into
> your own native tongue and start spreading the word.
>
> Links to help you get started:
> http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/
> http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Translators
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide
>
> P.S. I am. Because you are!
>
> IdleOne

This is indeed a great idea and I'll also "use" this thread to introduce
myself, if I may...

My name is Melissa, I'm from Brazil and I'm an applied mathematician. I just
came back from Belgium where I was getting my PhD and now I'm back to the
university where I did my undergrad and masters studies to try and be a
teacher here. Right now I'm a post-doc.

I've been using Linux for the past 10 years at least, I've used several
distros (Slackware, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake, Contectiva, Mandriva,
Suse/OpenSuse... you get the point) but I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary or
Warty (never remember which came first) and I've been a lurker on this list
for quite some time :) The main reason that I never contributed before is that
the events always seem to be taking place so far away from me that I don't
feel like I can contribute something to the discussion... Plus, since I've
been studying like crazy the last 10 years of my life I'm just now starting to
have the time to be able to really contribute regularly.

I've been doing some Ubuntu translations into Brazilian Portuguese (not too
many, I'm afraid) but your initiative seems excellent for us, since I know for
a fact there are so many women who contribute to Ubuntu and Linux in general
in Brazil and who do not necessarily speak good english. Besides, Brazil
sorely lacks any kind of incentives for women to join tech/science related
groups. Since Ubuntu is growing in popularity here, this would be great I
think for us and for Ubuntu.

So if I can, I'd like to join in on the translations for Brazilian Portuguese
and try to maybe get more people to join the group :)

Thanks and see you around,

Melissa

p.s. I'm sometimes on irc as melissawm, but it's really hard to catch someone
alive on the channel at non-working hours at GMT-3 :(