[UbuntuWomen] UW Project - Suggested Measurable Goals -M Release Cycle

|| स्वक्ष || vid at svaksha.com
Tue Mar 16 05:51:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 00:18, Amber Graner <akgraner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.  In addition to potential list - we will need to see what projects,
> teams, etc already offer mentors. Why re-invent the wheel.

hmm.... its not so much of "re-invent the wheel" as much as "herding
cats". By that I mean, UW exclusively concentrates on increasing the
technical contribution from women, our one goal amongst others.
Besides, since Ubuntu's existence in the last few years, if various
channels/teams are already having mentors, have they been successful
in increasing technical contributions from women? I dont see any
metrics available and am not aware of how to measure them. An example
worth emulating would be DW -- since its existence has increased the
female DD contributors to 11 (This data is more that a year old, so
correct me if I am wrong please).

> What I meant was to make sure that the information matched in terms of not
> having opposing information.  For example - if the wiki's say Mentoring is -

TBH, what if during the website redesign we decided to move the static
pages to the wiki: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org, and turned the whole
UW site into a wiki? Back then, *-women's groups attracted trolls but
i'd like to assume that things are different today and we have a
larger pool of volunteers. Thoughts?

> word for word,  only that the information on the web page and wiki should
> complement each other not contradict.

yes, and we dont need to replicate data. If we got rid of the static
pages, it would be easier to avoid data conflict.

> Wiki's are a tool I am not saying that they aren't  - nor am I suggesting
> that the website take the place of the wiki's.  However, what I am
> suggesting is that just as Melissa updated the look of the wiki's in a way
> that made me want to go and click on each thing - I think the website should
> do that as well.

Alternatively we could use any of the CMS {the discussion if a CMS is
overkill for a handful of pages probably belongs to another thread :)}
with login privileges for a few volunteers to maintain pages.

> Sure  - travel sponsorships for members would be awesome, but here are some

See, http://us.pycon.org/2010/registration/financial-aid/ , which
clearly outlines the process. My point was more along the line of
_explicitly_ mentioning this somewhere. Currently this information is
not on our wiki and besides long-time contributors** few would know
that Canonical sponsors women to UDS.

** Being an Ubuntu member should not be a prerequisite.

> **Canonical  - Sponsoring Ubuntu Women Project Members?
> Canonical is already sponsoring Ubuntu Women Project members who are active
> contributors in the community - are you suggesting we petition them to do
> something differently?

No. See above.

> Since Canonical is the Corporate Sponsor, we can see about petitioning
> Canonical through the proper channels, to hold UDS in another places other
> than the US and EU.  Let's come up with a list of proposed locations and go
> from there.

The onus would probably fall on the loco-teams and the discussion
would probably belong on the loco-contacts list. However thusfar, I
have not seen any public calls from Canonical (or Ubuntu teams) for
UDS locations and I am not sure if any loco-teams have petitioned for
UDS in their country in the past. Frankly, I dont have many thoughts
on how we (read UW) should go ahead with this. It was more of /me
thinking out loud that there exists a world beyond US/EU for the OS
that caters to a diverse world of human beings :)

--
|| vid | http://svaksha.com ||