[UbuntuWomen] UW list and attachments.

idleone oneidle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 12:03:19 UTC 2010

[06:20:41] <IdleOne> Nothing like highjacking a email thread and
spinning it in the direction you want. For the record I don't like
receiving attachments in emails either and yes this entire thing started
out because of an attachment or two but it has evolved into accusations
and a power struggle. as I understand it svaksha is the official founder
of the Ubuntu women team as per Launchpad (correct me if I am wrong)
from what I have seen from her last nigh
[06:20:41] <IdleOne> t on this channel and then on the ML. I think it
may be time for this team to reconsider her position in the team as the
ML admin.
[06:31:22] <IdleOne> I apologize for my last comment about svaksha. I
did not mean to imply in anyway that she is not a good ML admin and I
take back the part about the team reconsidering her position.
[06:34:11] * etali1 is now known as etali
[06:34:58] <svaksha> IdleOne: I was ignoring your personal attack but
since you were gracious enough to apologize I wanted to highlight a
point. Has it ever occured to you how the above aggressive behaviour
plays a part in silencing women, especially new ones (and maybe older
folks too, i cant speculate).
[06:36:11] <svaksha> That its hapenning in a project for women is so
ironical that i want to laugh out loud. Actually it makes me sad instead
[06:36:19] * etali is sad to see the UW channels get heated, but thinks
this could be a good opportunity to document how things work so tat it
doesn't happen again in the future.
[06:36:48] <etali> s/tat/that
[06:37:25] <IdleOne> I am not going to respond to that. You are implying
that I am trying to silence you in some way and that I am being
aggressive towards you because I am a man.
[06:38:34] <IdleOne> I have made it clear that my position is I don't
like email attachments. Now my concern is why we can't have more then 3
admins on the list and how it is you became the person who decides who
gets to be admin?
[06:39:19] <IdleOne> I am going to have to defer this to a later time. I
need to get ready for work. Have a nice day all :)
[06:40:21] <svaksha> IdleOne: No. Your comment about power struggle is
odd considering it was akgraner who said "03:57:58 on < akgraner> I know
that - whatever - I'll fix it... but as the leader I should have access
"
[06:40:42] * svaksha was not talking of power at all
[06:41:01] <svaksha> IdleOne: sure, anytime you are ready to talk

I agree with the no attachments on the mailing list policy and I
understand how many do not want them either.

As for personal attacks. You are quick to point them out without
providing the context of what you are talking about.
I have above in the chat we had on IRC.

Now my many questions are
1- Who made you final decision maker on who is an admin on this list?
2- Is this not a team list?
3- Should the team not have a say about who can and cannot admin?
4- What would be so hard about adding and removing admins of the list?
which btw I believe that the team lead will be a position held for 1
year and not per release cycle. Ambers term is for 6 months but I hope
she gets elected for another term.

My concern here is not about the attachments.
Also just to clarify I have no intention of running for the position of
team lead. I am neither qualified or interested in the position. I feel
there are many other people in this team that would do a better job then
I ever could.
I do feel though that myself and everybody else in the team should have
a say on who WE think the team needs as a leader.

Seeing how the ML is the official way of communicating the team goals to
the rest of the team I fail to see why the team lead would not have
admin access.

--
John Chiazzese

In this concrete jungle we live. Our survival is love that we give.
Now my instinct is guiding my way. It’s true what they say.
The world is your chance to create.