[UbuntuWomen] Participation and contribution in UW [was] call for list admins

vid vid at svaksha.com
Fri Jun 5 18:31:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 23:25, Elizabeth Krumbach<lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> All the examples I already gave[0], plus things like:

...which i hopefully clarified :)

> "My mailserver was broken, did I get unsubbed?"
> "Can you check what email address I subscribed with?"
> "I had $error upon subscribing, did it take?"

These should go to the list admins too instead of irc. Incase you get
further such queries please mail them to the list or the -owner
address.

> Of course, this is how it is handled now. And having more admins will
> help these things be addressed in a timely manner.

I hope you are not suggesting it wasnt being handled in a timely
manner earlier. Somehow I find that hard to believe. If you felt so
you could have simply mailed the list if there was a perceived delay.
I dont remember any such mail to the list so this accusation is
frankly very unfair.

> But since requests often come into IRC, it'd be nice to have someone
> there too who can deal with them there instead of telling people they
> have to send yet another email.

Well sorry to say but I find the "hang out on irc to contribute"
attitude very demotivating and not friendly at all.  Personally TBH, I
never faced this attitude in Linuxchix which was my first contribution
as an admin long before I knew LC ran an irc server (they had a policy
of not advertising it) and i was never on IRC. Not being on IRC never
hampered my contributions in any way in all these years.

> volunteers and vote on the new admins in a couple weeks :)

If i may ask when IRC admins were added did it come up for voting?
Sorry the 'IRC admin has to be a list admin too' demand seems
unreasonable.  Please clarify this as I dont see any such policy in
any other Ubuntu list or forums.  Why is there so much opposition to
bring in new women. Everyone has a first time and distributing control
among newer folks helps widen the Ubuntu circle.  That is what Ubuntu
has always been about.

I hope this conversation is not seen as a dampener or stops those who
want to volunteer from speaking up :)

--
thanks
|| vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||