[UbuntuWomen] Gender and email [was: Free Ego :)

Ireene-Sointu ireenesointu at phonecoop.coop
Thu May 1 09:21:16 UTC 2008

Hi!
Right to one of my very long term preoccupations: setting of genders
opposing each other instead of seeing us all as a part of humanity. For
me it all started when as a single parent of two young children I first
had to face the question of names. I had first been known by my father's
surname, then by my violent husband's surname. What next? First I went
back to my father's name and also changed my children's surname to it.
(There is an interesting novel written by an Irish born Candian male
writer, Brian Moore, about a woman who has an identity crises having
changed pers (her/his) name a few times to the name of the man per was
married to at any given time. It all goes blank for the main character
and per cannot remember what pers name is, who per is.)
I changed my name again while doing my degree in London (finished in
1984). I dropped the surname altogether and also from then on refused to
use any title indicating my gender in front of my name. I have labels
printed with a message: "Return to sender. Reason for return: addressed
incorrectly. Legally I have one personal name. NO surname - NO title."
Even the government departments get the mail returned if addressed
incorrectly.
My reason for doing this is that I want to emphasize our common
humanity. I think all the names should be available for all the people
regardless of gender. For this reason when I got pregnant again at the
age of 39 I, with the agreement of the father, decided that the child
would have a so called male name if a girl and a so called female name
if a boy. (One Finnish name from my side and one Irish name from the
father's side.) So that is what happened. Furthermore, the child has a
surname which refers equally to both parents. The surname is made out of
the first three letters of my personal name and the first three letters
of the father's personal name.
Last, I got the idea of using "per" as a first person singular pronoun
from a novel by Marge Piercy, /Woman on the Edge of Time/. And there is
an interesting novel by Ursula LeGuin, /The Left Hand of Darkness/,
which deals with the gender issue.
With best wishes,
Imppu