[UbuntuWomen] Why are there more females in Computer Science in UP?

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Thu Mar 6 20:08:34 UTC 2008

Op donderdag 06-03-2008 om 13:52 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Christina Eater:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> >  Well, I wish none of them would be on on facebook or myspace, but maybe
> >  that's just because I prefer people to be original thinkers instead of
> >  "fashionistas"...  ;-)
>
> Oh noes, elitism! :) I tend to feel the same way, especially when I'm
> unexpectedly swamped with those "glitters". But I also can't stop
> thinking that to say some girls shouldn't be using [Facebook, or
> whatever] because they're different from me uncomfortably parallels my
> own experience of being told I can't use [the Internet, Linux,
> computers, etc.] because I'm female and not a CompSci student. We
> don't have the right to close the door on anyone, which, for me, has
> meant a lot of forcibly subduing my elitist attitude.

Don't worry, I know several people who are on facebook or linkedin or
similar sites, and I don't really have issues with them, but I think
having a deviantart or launchpad account is more interesting than
those...   ;-)

(And DeviantArt isn't really CompSci-related either, but it's an
internet community that has existed a magnitude longer than most of
those sites that say you need to be a member to be hip.)

--
Jan Claeys