[UbuntuWomen] Why are there more females in Computer Science in UP?

Christina Eater christina.eater at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:52:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:

>  Well, I wish none of them would be on on facebook or myspace, but maybe
>  that's just because I prefer people to be original thinkers instead of
>  "fashionistas"...  ;-)

Oh noes, elitism! :) I tend to feel the same way, especially when I'm
unexpectedly swamped with those "glitters". But I also can't stop
thinking that to say some girls shouldn't be using [Facebook, or
whatever] because they're different from me uncomfortably parallels my
own experience of being told I can't use [the Internet, Linux,
computers, etc.] because I'm female and not a CompSci student. We
don't have the right to close the door on anyone, which, for me, has
meant a lot of forcibly subduing my elitist attitude.

--
Christina